Yasar Onel, Ph.D.
Experimental elementary particle physics; nuclear physics.
- Search for Higgs and super-symmetric (SUSY) particles
- Heavy ion collision research with the CMS detector (Compact Muon Selonoid Experiment on LHC) and construction of the ZDC (Zero Degree Calorimeter)
- Recent projects at Fermilab and CERN include construction of Forward Calorimeter for CMS, and development of parts of future detectors in proposed accelerators
- On-campus facilities: hardware lab with computer-controlled photomultiplier (PMT) test station with CAMAC, NIM electronics, and LabView data acquisition
- Students perform projects at accelerators, living and working there for one year or longer
- Students learn to design and build mechanical and electronic components of detectors and to write code
- Employment of previous Ph.D. students: professors, staff scientists in national or university labs, and industry
- Nuclear and Particle Physics