Robert Mutel, Ph.D.
Radio astronomy; space physics; plasma astrophysics.
- Observations using radio telescopes and spacecraft
- Astronomical instrumentation, especially optical spectroscopy
- Stellar and planetary redio emission
- Students use radio telescopes: Very Large Array (VLA), Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA), National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), Arecibo; and an optical telescope (Iowa Robotic Observatory) located in Arizona
- Students develop programming skills using Python and CASA (radio astronomical imaging)
- Students also interact with peer group members and other astronomy faculty
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Space Physics