Robert Merlino, Ph.D.
Experimental plasma physics.
- Basic plasma physics problems, including laboratory simulations of space plasma phenomena, dusty plasmas
- Facilities include two lab rooms with three plasma chambers
- Major equipment includes two Q-machines with magnetic field up to 0.5 T; each machine is dedicated to a single graduate student
- Students develop skills including: vacuum, electronics, data acquisition, image analysis, instrument fabrication
- Employment opportunities include industry, government labs and universities
- Plasma Physics