John A. Goree, Ph.D.
Experimental plasma physics; statistical physics; soft condensed matter physics.
- Dusty plasma, strongly-coupled plasma, optical diagnostics of plasmas, waves
- Physics problems are interdisciplinary, combining condensed matter, statistical physics, and plasma physics; experiments involve direct comparisons to theory
- Experiments are performed in our labs. Data from experiments on the International Space Station (ISS) are also analyzed
- Two labs with plasma chambers and optical diagnostics
- Students also interact with group members including a research scientist; other faculty and research scientists; collaborators in other countries
- Students develop skills including design, construction, and operation of: vacuum, electronic, optical, and laser systems; programming in various languages; image analysis
- Condensed Matter and Materials Physics
- Optics and Photonics
- Plasma Physics