- AAS Career Services — Great resource for those looking at careers in astronomy.
- APS Careers in Physics — Physics career information and guidance resources.
- Careers in Science & Engineering — Student planning guide to grad school and beyond.
- Physical Sciences Resource Center — Geared towards physics teaching.
- PhysLINK — Information on all things physics.
- Physicist/Astronomer Occupational Outlook — General details pertaining to a physicist/astronomer career from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Report on Initial Employment in Physics and Astronomy — AIP report on initial employment of physics and astronomy graduates.
- AAS Astronomy Education Review — Astronomy education resource on both formal education and informal educational outreach.
- ASP Astronomy Education — Astronomy education at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific.
- Division of Educational Programs — From the Argonne National Laboratory.
- Iowa Space Grant Consortium — Intrastate project operated by ISU, UI, UNI, and Drake University to conduct research and educate the general public.
Preparing Resumes/Cover Letters, Interviewing
- CareerLab — Articles from The Career Advisor on job search and career topics.
- EmploymentGuide.com — Online employment source.
- Curriculum vitae advice
- Kaplan — Test prep, admissions and tutoring.
- Resumes - tips for language to use (and avoid) — Transferable skills, use of language and more.
- Quintessential LiveCareer — Career and job hunting resources guide.
Physics & Astronomy Jobs
- Physics Today Career Resources
- brightrecruits — Dedicated jobs website from Institute of Physics Publishing.
- AAS Job Register — Job listings from the American Astronomical Society.
- WORKinOPTICS.com — Optics and photonics career web site from the Optical Society of America.
- NatureJobs — Online scientific recruitment, published by Nature, the international weekly journal of science.
- ysfine.com — Links to JOBMENU, a worldwide listing of academic and research positions in physics.
- Fermilab Career Opportunities — Job openings at the Fermi National Laboratory.
- Jobs @ LLNL — Job opportunities at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
- Careers at SLAC — Careers at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.
- STScI Employment Opportunities — Job listings at the Space Telescope Science Institute.
- Academic Careers Online — Career opportunities in education and academia.
- CareerOneStop — General database for searching all kinds of jobs.
- Jobbydoo.com — General database for job searching plus other career resources.
- Job-Hunt.org — Job hunter's online super list of the best job sites on the web.
- Jobs.net — Job search, employment resources and career advice.
- JobsCity.net — Search, post global jobs, resumes, careers.
- Monster Jobs — Search for jobs worldwide.
- Net-Temps — Search for contract, temporary and permanent employment.
- Jobs UK — Jobs, employment and recruitment in the UK.
Outside the Physics and Astronomy General Office (Room 203 Van Allen Hall) you'll find many internship/cooperative opportunities posted. Also be sure to check out these excellent sites listed below.
- Summer REUs and Internships — Maintained by the Physics and Astronomy Dept. at Carleton College.
- National Academies Fellowships
- NRAO Summer Student Assistantships — Summer student research assistantship program at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.
- STScI Summer Student Program and Graduate Research Assistantships — Available through the Space Telescope Science Institute.
- 3M United States
- DuPont USA
- Hewlett Packard
- Lockheed Martin
- Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions
- Rockwell Collins
- Teledyne Scientific & Imaging
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
- American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT)
- American Astronomical Society (AAS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Institute of Physics (AIP)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Optical Astronomy Observatories (NOAO)
- National Radio Astronomy Observatory — NRAO homepage with links to various employment opportunities.
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) - Office of Science
- European Organization for Nuclear Research — CERN homepage